This year, I asked the Lil Divas what they wanted to contribute and they knew they wanted to make ornaments. Making homemade holiday ornaments is one of our favorite activities to do together during advent. Having already made salt dough ornaments, cinnamon apple sauce ornaments, bead ornaments and craft stick ornaments we wanted to try something different.
I have a few boxes of old clear ball ornaments that I have been saving for the last few years and I wanted to find a way to reuse them versus giving in to my husband and finally throwing them away for not using them. I wanted to make fun snowmen ornaments out of them using glitter, white sparkles and epsom salt for the inside but the Lil Divas nixed my idea. They wanted to paint the ornaments themselves.
We started trying to paint the outside of the ornament but it was messy, hard for the Lil Divas to handle and would take a long time to dry. So we decided to add paint to the inside of the ornaments.
clear ball ornaments
multi-colored acrylic paints
What To Do:
1. Remove the top from your ornament to reveal its opening.
2. Pick 2-3 colors of acrylic paint to use in the ball. Pour some of each paint color you chose inside the ornament. The Lil Divas were pretty liberal with their paint pouring and we had quite a bit of excess.
3. Put your thumb over the top and gently swirl the paint around inside the ornament until the ornament is completely coated in paint.
4. Let your ornament dry by putting the newly painted ornament upside down in a plastic cup for approx. 48hrs. The excess paint will drain out of your ornament and into the cup while it hangs upside
5. Once they are dry go ahead and ooh & ahh over your gorgeous ornaments.
6. Hang on your tree and enjoy!
These really add a colorful punch to your tree and would make great gifts. Have you tried painting your old ornaments? Have you made a homemade ornament this year? I'd love for you to share with me.
Be sure to follow along on the last few days of the Creative Christmas Countdown. We're almost there!