I was super excited when I went shopping over the weekend and scored some Pumpkin Spice Jell-O packets on clearance! I couldn't wait to mix up a batch of jello play dough for my preschoolers to play with this week.
If you have never whipped up a batch of jello play dough - I urge you to give it a try. It's so moist, sticky and fun. Kids love the texture and this pumpkin spice scent was fabulous.
What You Need:
2 Pumpkin Spice Jell-O packets (I used the 3.4oz packets)
3.5 - 4 cups flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tbsp. cooking oil
1 cup hot water
This is super easy to make so it's perfect for kids to help in the kitchen.
Pumpkin Spice Jell-O Play Dough:
1. Put 1 cup of water into microwave for 2-3 minutes - to bring to a boil. This must be done by an adult.
2. In a bowl combine your dry ingredients - 3.5 cups flour (save 1/2 cup flour for later - you will add flour as needed to reach YOUR desired consistency, you may even want to add more than I did!), jell-o packets and 1/2 cup salt - and mix well.
3. Add in oil and stir.
4. Mix in water and stir - use caution with any children helping because you are using hot water for this step. Once your dough starts to form, get ready to knead.
5. Let cool just a bit before you begin to knead the dough. Knead your dough well, adding flour as desired. I used probably an additional 1/2 cup or more of flour. Jell-O is sticky so just sprinkle on additional flour as needed until you get the consistency you prefer.
6. Add 1-2 drops of glycerin if desired. This play dough is pretty soft and sticky thanks to the jell-o so glycerin isn't essential. I added a drop just because I prefer shiny play dough.
*Remember that jell-o play dough is sticky so you may want to add more flour than I did. I like it a little sticky because my preschoolers enjoy the sensory feel of it and since we use it a lot, it keeps it from drying out too fast (even when not put away for awhile).*