What's in the Box?
The Alphabet Bean Bags set comes with 26 double sided soft bean bags that depict the lower case letters of the alphabet on one side and upper case letters on the other. Vowels are stitched in red and consonants are stitched in blue. The set also includes an activity guide for further play ideas.
The Phonics Bean Bags set includes 26 soft bean bags with embroidered pictures that represent each letter of the alphabet. Vowel bags depict both long and short vowel sounds and c and g have pictures to depict both their hard & soft sounds. The set also includes an activity guide for further play ideas.
All the bean bags are washable and come in a drawstring storage bag. The bags are easy to handle
How to Play:
To work on beginning letter sounds we played a fun game with both bean bag sets. I had the girls put the alphabet bean bags in ABC order on our large play mat. They had fun with that and once they were done - I told them we were going it as our game board!
Next, I let them take turns pulling phonics bean bags out of the carrier. They had to identify the picture by saying the word and then tell me the letter that corresponded to the initial sound in the word.
They loved moving around to place the bean bags on the correct letters. We made a game out of that too by trying to come up with some action that corresponded to the picture. Like barking for the D-dog, walking lowly for the t-turtle, pretending to write for the p-pencil, etc. It was fun to see what they came up with!
* We also played by putting down the phonics bags first & picking letters and matching them up that way. It was slightly more challenging since they had to look all through the pictures to match the sound versus just identifying the letter sound and then scanning for the letter.*
Even More Ways to Play:
I am seriously loving the bean bag sets! There are so many ways to play and incorporate learning into our day using them.
Here are a few more ways I've used them so far with the Lil Divas:
1. To make simple CVC words - the alphabet bean bags can be used with picture cards or alone. We had fun trying to spell some of the pictures from the phonics bean bags too.
2. Word Family Practice - we have been using our alphabet bean bags to practice various word families. This is something I am really focusing on with my kindergartener and she enjoys using the bean bags to make words.
3. Sight Word Spelling - It was a fun change of pace to use the alphabet bean bags to spell out the sight words we have been working on.
4. Letter Relay - this is a fun game that the Lil Divas really love playing! I wish I had pictures but it goes so fast - they kept coming out blurry! to play, I set up either the alphabet or phonics bean bags on the floor (not in ABC order) and then I call out a letter sound. The 1st Lil Diva has to run to the correct letter or picture bag and hand it to her sister, who then has to come up with a word that starts or ends with that sound (whatever I choose). Then we do it again, starting w/the child who gave me the word so that they are changing their role in the game. I can not tell you how much fun we have had playing this game!
5. How Many Syllables? - we play this game with the phonics bags. The Lil divas identify the pictures and clap out the syllables for each word.
Now that you've seen a few ways you can use these bean bags - don't you want them? I know you do! I am super excited to be able to give away one of each bean bag set thanks to the generous people at Educational Insights.
We will have Two (2) Winners!
One (1) for the Phonics Bean Bags
and one (1) for the Alphabet Bean Bags
How to Enter:
**Contest ends on 10/13/11**
One (1) lucky Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas reader
(US Residents Only!) is going to receive:
and one (1) lucky Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas reader
is going to receive the Alphabet Bean Bags
Tell me which set you would like to win & why!
Please include your email w/your comment so I can find you if you're our winner.
**Mandatory Entry must be completed for extra entries to count**
Extra Entries (Optional)
Please leave a separate comment
for each entry &
please include your e-mail
so I can get back to you if you win!
*If you are already a follower leave a comment that counts as an entry*
- Follow Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Publicly via Google Friend Connect (+2) leave 2 comments
- Follow Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas on Facebook (+2) leave 2 comments
- "Like" Educational Insights on Facebook & tell them I sent you - even if you already like them, thank them for this giveaway! (+2)
- Follow Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas on Twitter (+2) leave 2 comments
- Subscribe to Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas emails (+2) leave 2 comments
- Subscribe to Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Newsletter (+2) leave 2 comment
- Vote for me on Parents (Best Craft for Kids Blog) (+2) leave 2 comment
- Make a comment on any non-giveaway post on Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Blog and leave a link. You can do this for up to 5 posts but please note that comment must be dated after the start date of this post - not valid on previous comments. (+2) leave 2 comments
- Share this giveaway via your Facebook page - please mention/link back to Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas (+2) leave 2 comments
- Tweet about this giveaway and leave a link - can be done once a day. Example of a daily tweet- Tweet: #Win @ed_insights Alphabet or Phonics Bean Bags w/@Momto2PoshDivas ends 10/13 http://goo.gl/fb/pg3Lf #giveaways #preschool #kindergarten
Giveaway ends 10/13/11 at 11:59 (PDT)
& contacted via email if an email is given .
Winner will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
Please note any entries that can not be verified will be disqualified.
Disclaimer: I received the Alphabet & Phonics Bean Bag Sets for free from Educational Insights for the purposes of trying it out for this review. That being said, this review is my 100% honest opinion of this product - I am not paid for my reviews or optinions! They are 100% mine! Please remember that your opinions and tastes might differ from mine.