Mister Seahorse is another wonderful book (both visually & literally) by Eric Carle that we had yet to read. This one is all about the daddy caretakers of the sea.
I had no idea there were so many - I learned quite a few new things from this book myself! This would be a wonderful addition to any Eric Carle study or Ocean/Under the Sea Theme - there is quite a bit if science to learn here and it would be a perfect springboard for more detailed info or books.
The Lil Divas loved the transparent overlays - it made for a fun interactive read as we explored the camouflaged overlay in search of the the various fish. We picked this up from the library but the Lil Divas are begging me to purchase our own copy - I think that says it all!
Our Craft - Watercolor Seahorse Art
One of the reasons Eric Carle books are so appealing to children is that they are visually stimulating. I love his use of color and I wanted to try and capture that in our art.
What You Need:
Seahorse template - my dad made ours but I found a printable one on making learning fun
blue construction paper (background)
white constuction paper (for spikes & fins)
What To Do:
1. Use watercolors to decorate the seahorse template - encourage the use of different colors and strokes
2. Once the seahorse is completely colored put aside to dry
3. On the blue paper you will make background - we opted to make squiggly lines and dots as in the book
4. Then we painted various lines on white paper to use for the spikes and a yellow square with orange lines for the fins.
5. Glue the seahorse onto the bacrground paper.
6. Cut out 1 fin for each seahorse and various spikes in each color and glue them on as desired.
7. Add a wiggly eye (can also be drawn on) and a smile to finish the seahorse.
Behold your wonderful watercolor Eric Carle Seahorse!
These came out so lovely and they were so simple to create!
Are you working on Eric Carle related activities? I'd love to see - link up your posts below if you'd like to share. You can check out our other Eric Carle activities & crafts here ---> Eric Carle Theme
Linking to STart, Sharing Time, Get Crafty, Read, Explore, Learn , For the Kids Friday, Preschool Corner, Feed Me Books Friday , Fun for Kids Friday , It's Playtime , Made by Little Hands Monday, Creative Juice Thursday and Monday Playdate.