Every summer the Lil Divas and I enroll in a few Summer Reading Programs to keep the girls motivated and focused on reading. We are already BIG readers in our home but I with all the unstructured days we have during the summer keeping track of our reading in a formal way is a great motivator. The Lil Divas can track their progress (much like the reading logs used in school during the year).
Online Summer Reading Resources:
1. Scholastic's Summer Challenge is a great FREE online resource! Kids log minutes read to earn rewards and read for the World Record. They have lots of great info, lists for different age ranges and even challenge books if your child is up for it. Scholastic is even has a Summer Reading Timer App which is FREE.
2. Sylvan's Book Adventure is another fun & free way to motivate kids to read. Kid's find a book from the list, take a quiz and ear prizes for their reading success. In the Parent's Place parents can monitor their child's reading progress, track and view their quiz results and even approve prize selection.
3. To participate in Barnes & Noble's Summer Reading Program kids have to read 8 books, record/log them in their Imagination's Destination Reading Journal and turn it in at your local Barnes & Noble store between May 22nd and September 4th to earn a FREE book from the list printed on the back of the journal.
4. Pizza Hut has their Book It! Read Your Heart Out Summer Reading Challenge for kids in grades K-6th. They also have lots of tips, activities and printables for parents and teachers too.
5. TD Bank Summer Reading Program runs May 6th thru September 30, 2013. The program rewards children who read 10 books during the summer with a $10 deposit into a new or existing Young Saver account. In 2012, 45,281 children participated in the program and read 452,810 books, earning $452,810 for their Young Saver accounts.
6. Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards - kids read everyday for 2 weeks and win 10 free tokens. Document their reading on the form provided and take it into your local Chuck E. Cheese.
7. Pottery Barn Kids Summer Reading Program - The program runs from May 16th thru August 26th. Kids
8. Half-Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program - Kids read a minimum of 15mins a day until they total 300 minutes. Turn in completed log to earn HPB Bookworm bucks.
9. Read-a-Palooza with American Girl - From May 1st thru August 26th your American Girl lover can join in the reading fun with special in-store events, free printables and amazing reading resources. Joining in helps a great cause too. $1 of every book purchased through American Girl goes to Save the Children's US Literacy Programs.
10. No Time for Flashcards (4th Annual) Read With Me Summer Reading Challenge - Read to or with your child, share how many you read with Allie of No Time for Flashcards and you will be entered to win a prize pack of books and 1 grand prize of a $50 Amazon gift card. The challenge goes on until August 31, 2013.
Local Library Summer Reading Program
10. This year's theme is Dig into Reading. Check your local library to enroll in their Summer Reading Program. Ours is for the Broward County Library System. Check your local libraries for more details or visit the Collaborative Summer Library Program website.
I'll keep adding resources to this post as I get more information
so be sure to check back!
so be sure to check back!
Let's keep our kids reading this summer!