We have been having lots of fun with Peeps and eggs around here.
The Lil Divas are really into conducting experiments so I thought with Easter nearly here, it was the perfect time to have some fun with eggs along with all of our Peeps. :)
I started them off with a simple and classic egg experiment -
The Floating vs. Sinking Egg Experiment
Do you remember doing this experiment as a child yourself? I do!
I LOVE sharing things with the Lil Divas that I myself did as a child.
It's so fun for me to experience it again with them and see their reactions.
What You Need:
2 clear cups/glasses
1. Fill each of the 2 cups approx. halfway with warm water.
2. Leave one cup with plain water.
3. In the 2nd cup add 8-10 tablespoons of salt & stir.
(the Lil Divas were very generous with the salt!)
At this point, I had the Lil Divas make predictions about what they thought would happen to the egg when placed into each cup.
4. Carefully place one (raw) egg into each glass and observe the results.
Of course to be sure it wasn't some sort of egg trickery, the Littlest Diva insisted on taking the "sunken" egg from the plain water cup and putting it into the salt water cup to see if it too would float.....
it did! It also gave me an idea for a follow-up experiment. ;)
1. Empty about half of the salt water, leaving the egg in the cup (save it!) and re-stir the salt. We had a lot sitting at the bottom of the cup.
2. Add fresh water on top of the salt water and observe what happens.
The egg floats in between!
The Lil Divas found this very cool as it seemed suspended in the cup! :)
Now dump out some of the water (leave the egg in), add in your saved salt water and re-stir. What happens?
The egg comes floating back to the top! :)
Have fun sinking & floating those eggs!