Welcome to "Around The World in 12 Dishes".
We are taking a journey around the world, (loosely) following in Phileas Fogg's footsteps, by exploring 12 different countries and cooking 12 dishes - one for each country we visit.
The world is such a wonderfully diverse and colorful place. With an upcoming family trip out of the country this summer I was excited to get us a bit out of our comfort zone and explore some more of the world with the Lil Divas. What better way to really bring it all to life for them than through food?!
Not only is it an exciting and different way to learn about cultures, but cooking with children brings a host of benefits - from numeracy and science, to following directions and so much more. You just can't beat that!
Adventures In Mommydom, Creative Family Fun, Glittering Muffins, Juggling with Kids, Keeping Life Creative, Kitchen Counter Chronicles, Make, Do & Friends, Mummymummymum, Rainy Day Mum, Red Ted Art, The Educators' Spin On It, The Outlaw Mom and me - Mom to 2 Posh Little Divas, have come together to help you on your food journey. We will each be cooking a dish with our children and sharing it with you. We hope to inspire you to try something yourself! So go out there, cook, blog, and then join in with us on the linky fun below!
Around the World in 12 Dishes
We begin our journey the same way Phileas Fogg did in London, UK.
- March 4 - First country is UK
- Come back April 1st, 2012 for our next destination ;)
How to join the fun!
- The only mandatory part is the dish, the rest is all up to you. We thought it would be fun and more concrete for the kids to learn a bit more about each country by further exploring its culture, etc.. through a book and working on an activity/craft.
- Cook a dish from the UK: The goal is to explore this country through FOOD (and activities if you wish). Make a typical dish (sweet or savoury) from the country with the kids, take photos and have fun!
- Typical dishes: Bangers & Mash, Yorkshire Pudding, Shepherd's Pie and Custard & Apple Crumble (here is a link for more inspiration: http://glitteringmuffins.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=1131&action=edithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_cuisine)
- Print your passport: Click here to download your child's passport. It comes with space for a photo of the child with the dish. Here is a little cover for it if you wish :)
- Color a placemat: Once colored/painted or whatever other way you want to do this, you can laminate it or put it between clear contact paper to use it over and over. Great conversation piece for you and your kids. Click here to download it.
- Make a craft: you can make a country related craft with the kids [optional!]
- Read a book: We read Paddington Bear, who can resist the adorable bear that made his way from Darkest Peru to London's busy Paddington Station. Paddington Bear's humorous misadventures were a hit with the Lil Divas and this "preschool" version of the classic story was perfect for their age group.
- Online fun: www.paddingtonbear.com A site devoted to the much loved and well known Paddington bear. It has some fun printable and online activities for your child to enjoy.
- Fun fact: Did you know the UK is one of the rare countries to host the summer Olympics twice, the second time will be this summer :)
- Share with us: Our challenge starts on March 4, 2012 and will remain open for a year. To join in on the fun attach a link to your blog to the linky party below, visit the Around the World in 12 Dishes Facebook page and post a photo along with what you did with your child(ren) or just comment in the comments section below.
- Pinterest: We will add your photos to "Around the World in 12 Dishes" Pinterest Boards (one for the dishes, one for the crafts) you will be a great source of inspiration for everyone :)
- Are you a blogger? Let your fans know about the challenge by grabbing our cute lil’ button & sharing it on your blog. Thank you!
This is what we did for Destination:UK -
We made Cinnamon Chip Scones & Cucumber Sandwiches. We also read Paddington Bear and made a TP Roll Paddington Bear.
We are looking forward to next month's destination.
Until then, I hope you will be inspired to join us!